Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Grain-free, (Low-FODMAP), Vegan
I love crispy tofu and I love peanut butter. Enter a savory, Thai-inspired dish with both, made grain-free by using “riced” broccoli and cauliflower in place of traditional white rice. To me, this is comfort food at it’s finest, perfect for dark or cold winter days when I’m craving something rich and savory, yet wholesome.
While this type of “rice” isn’t considered low-FODMAP, I can tolerate small amounts of both every so often, as is present in this dish. But please assess your own tolerances and adapt using regular rice instead if needed (see note below).
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins
Equipment: Food processor
Broc-Cauli Rice & Tofu:
- Drain the tofu and slice it into 1 inch cubes. Heat the oil in a stir-fry pan on medium heat and then add the tofu. Season with salt and freshly-ground pepper. Flip each piece occasionally with a fork until all sides are brown and crispy. (It’s a bit time-consuming, but you won’t regret doing it!) Cover with a lid until ready to serve.
- 24 oz (2 packs) of extra firm tofu, cubed
- 4 tbsp sesame seed oil (or coconut oil)
- While the tofu cooks, place the broccoli and cauliflower pieces in a food processor and pulse until “riced.” Add the riced broccoli and cauliflower to another pan and heat on low heat with a cover until softened, stirring occasionally.
- 1 head of broccoli, broken into pieces
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into pieces
- In a smaller pan heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and stir-fry each side until soft and charred.
- 2 large zucchinis, cubed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (or coconut oil)
- Divide the broccoli-cauliflower rice among bowls, top with tofu and zucchini, garnish with fresh cilantro, and drizzle with the spicy peanut sauce.
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
Spicy Peanut Sauce:
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as necessary with a spatula. Serve immediate or store in an air-tight jar in the fridge until ready to use.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 tbsp tamari sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp freshly grated giner
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Low-FODMAP Note: If you aren’t able to tolerate broccoli and cauliflower, substitute with regular rice (or use only whichever vegetable you can tolerate as the “rice”) for a low-FODMAP modification:
- Soak 1.5 cups of rice in hot water for 10 mins, then rinse using a strainer
- Add the soaked rice and 1.5 cups of new water to a pot
- Cook on medium heat, covered, until water is absorbed and grains are soft
- Fluff with a fork and serve