Gluten-free, Grain-free, Low-FODMAP, (Vegan)
Springtime is finally here and that means we’re eating lots of delicious, savory salads! Fennel has an unmistakable fresh licorice flavor that pairs wonderfully with the roasted potatoes, parmesan cheese (or vegan parm), and a squeeze of lemon.
This salad is hearty enough to be a dinner entree or an afternoon lunch, but could also work well as an appetizer. I recommend eating this salad on an outdoor patio, deck, or yard with a glass of dry Italian Sauvignon blanc!
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins
Equipment: mixing bowl, baking sheet, large salad bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Cut the tops off of the fennel bulb. Slice the bulbs in half, and then in half again lengthwise. Cut those quarters in half crosswise. Cut the potatoes into quarters. Place the fennel and potatoes in a mixing bowl and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat them. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes and then add the broccoli florets for the last 5 minutes. Remove when lightly browned and the potatoes are tender.
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 12 fingerling potatoes, quartered
- Olive oil, salt, and pepper
- 1/2 head of broccoli, broken into florets
- While the fennel and potatoes roast, make the rest of the salad. Coarsely chop the kale and spinach and add to a large mixing or salad bowl. Finely chop the celery stalk and chop the kalamata olives. Add these ingredients to the salad and toss to mix.
- 2 cups of kale, chopped
- 2 cups spinach or arugula, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 kalamata olives, chopped
- Once the fennel, potatoes, and broccoli have roasted toss them into the salad bowl and grate the parmesan cheese (or vegan parm) over the top. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the salad right before serving.
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Salt and pepper