Gluten-free, Low-FODMAP, Vegetarian
I love soups all year long, but especially in the winter-time! One of my all-time favorite soups is butternut squash soup. The orange color brightens up the kitchen, the creamy warmth is soothing, and it can be dressed up all sorts of ways: savory or sweet!
In this savory rendition, I’ve added pumpkin puree to the soup and trimmed it with winter herbs, raw walnuts, and salty feta cheese. Interested in making it vegan? Simply switch out the feta for a vegan brand (suggestion below)! The soup is accompanied by a quick-and-easy side salad topped with my famous flaxseed croutons!
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 45 mins
Equipment: baking sheet, salad bowl, food processor or blender, sauce pot
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Cut the butternut squash in half, lengthwise. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and lightly oil the outside of the squash with olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes until you hear the squash pop and sizzle and the skin has started to brown. When you take it out, a fork should pierce through the skin and flesh easily. If not, replace in the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. While the squash cooks, prepare the salad.
- 1 large butternut squash, cut lengthwise
- Coarsely chop the spinach and lettuce together and add to a large mixing or serving bowl. Add the cherry tomatoes and the croutons. Drizzle with olive oil and white balsamic vinegar. Toss to mix.
- 2 cups of fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup green or bib lettuce, chopped
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup of flaxseed croutons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- Once the butternut squash is cooked and soft, remove it from the oven and turn the halves over, cut side up, on the baking sheet or cutting board. Scoop out the flesh using a spoon and place it in a food processor or blender. Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, and olive oil and process until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Now add the pumpkin puree and lemon juice and process again until well-mixed and creamy.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pour the soup into a sauce pot on the stove and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down. Stir in the herbs and spices, then simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- When ready to serve, spoon into a deep bowl and top with walnuts, feta cheese, and a sprinkle of rosemary and sea salt.
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Sprinkle fresh rosemary
- Sprinkle with sea salt crystals
Tip: make the soup ahead of time and store it up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Make It Vegan: try out this delicious vegan cheese instead of the feta!