Gluten-free, Low-FODMAP, Vegetarian
One of my favorite dinners growing up was Frito Chili Pie! The salty, crunchy Fritos with the creamy cheddar cheese and the thick tomato sauce tasted perfect. But growing up, the meal always had meat and beans, both of which I do not and cannot eat today.
So, I’ve recreated this childhood favorite by eliminating the meat and using potatoes and parsnips to mimic the chew and texture of the beans. While I have retained the Fritos and cheddar cheese of the original dish, you can make it vegan by following the tip at the end of the post. Enjoy this chili on a cold, wintery night for maximum satisfaction 😀
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins
Equipment: stove pot, cheese grater
- Chop up the veggies. Add the sweet potatoes and parsnips to a sauce pot with garlic-infused olive oil on medium heat. Cook covered for 10 minutes until starting to brown. Add the green peppers, jalapeños, and all spices and continue cooking for 5 minutes, until fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes and the vegetable broth. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garlic-infused olive oil
- 2 white or sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- While the chili cooks, shred 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Once the chili has cooked and thickened, a total of 30 minutes or so, remove from heat. Spoon into bowls and top with cheddar cheese and Fritos! Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- 2 cups Fritos
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
Tip: The smaller you dice the potatoes and parsnips, the quicker they’ll cook and the more they’ll resemble beans. This dish actually gets better the day after you’ve made it as the spices and flavors meld and bolden.
Make It Vegan: Instead of adding cheddar cheese, grate a hard vegan cheese, like this one, over the chili.